The secret to good muffins is not to over-mix.The riper the banana,the sweeter,and toast the pecans first - you'll be glad you did.I only make six because they don't stay crunchy for long and the tops are the best part.-Jenny Jones
- 1/3 cup finely diced toasted pecans
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk (I use 1% low fat)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use extra light olive oil)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (a 7 ounce banana,mashed with a fork)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup diced pecans
- Preheat oven to 375° F.Grease a 6-cup muffin pan or insert paper liners.
- Finely dice 2/3 cup toasted pecans and set aside.
- For the topping,combine half of the nuts (1/3 cup),brown sugar & oil in a cup and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the oats,flour,sugar,baking powder,baking soda,and salt.
- In a smaller bowl using a hand mixer on low speed,beat the milk,oil,egg,banana,and vanilla until smooth,about 20 seconds.
- Fold banana mixture into flour mixture,followed by remaining 1/3 cup pecans.
- Divide batter between muffin cups & top each one with nut mixture,pressing down lightly.Bake for 20-25 minutes (23 minutes works for me).